1. Sift 1 1/3 cup flour with 1 1/3 teas. baking powder.
2. Work 1/2 cup shortening with 1/2 cup sugar and beat until fluffy.
3. Add 4 egg yolks - one at a time beating briskly after each addition. Then add alternately the flour and 5 Tbsp milk. Stir in 1/2 teas almond extract. Spread batter in 2-9 inch layer cake pans lined with wax paper and oiled, having mixture higher on sides.
4. Beat 4 egg whites with 1/8 teas cream of tartar until stiff then beat in 1 cup sugar until dissolved. Spread meringue evenly on top of the two layers of batter. Sprinkle on chopped walnuts if desired.
5. Bake in a 250 degree oven for 25 min. then increase to 350 degrees and bake 20 min. longer.
6. Cool on rack. Remove from pans - one layer meringue facing "Down" on plate add mixture of 1/2 pt whipped cream, sweetened, and chopped strawberries. Place second cake layer, meringue facing up, on top of the strawberry mixture. Yummy!